Thursday, June 10, 2010

Do you share calendars?

How we might make student self-organization more appealing?

Some of my seventh grade students until

Many of my seventh grades seriously struggled with self-organization. Their homework was rarely completed, their assignments were late and often accompanied by lame excuses. After weeks of fruitless nagging to bring their agendas to class and copy down their assignments and homework, I gave up. They were clearly frustrated and so was I. Then, like a gift, I remembered how much easier my life had become after I started using and sharing my personal calendar with my family, friends and colleagues. I have since shared my class calendar and set them up with calendar alerts sent directly by SMS to their personal cell phones.

As a result, I have seen a dramatic increase in assignments being handed-in on time and homework completed more consistently. Google Calendar was a life-saver for my students.

1 comment:

  1. FANTASTIC :) This is exactly what the technology integration is all about. After all, it's not really technology to these kids, it's just the way things are!!

    ReplyDelete